Saturday, August 24, 2013

Keeping It Real

I can't believe summer is almost over! I've been doing a lot of work behind the scenes, but also attending a number of plein air events. I have always considered myself to be a studio painter for the most part, but plein air painting helps to keep me "honest" about my work. By painting from life, rather than from photos, you experience the true colors, values, lights and shadows that can be digitally altered in a photograph. The more I paint from life, the truer my studio paintings are. I just created a new "Collection" on my website called Plein Air Works. (http://www.kathleeneatonart.com) The paintings shown there are just a few of the many that I've painted in recent months and years. I wake up every morning asking myself, "What will I paint today?" And I thank God for the gifts he has given me.

This is a painting I did in Door County, WI, recently when we visited during the Plein Air Festival. I've painted this view before, but never completed it entirely "en plein air." It's an inlet on the east side of Door County, just south of the Cana Island Light.


Moonlight Bay, 11"x14"
$400.00, unframed





No comments: