Wednesday, September 5, 2012

The Eyes Have It


The old saying, "the eyes are the windows to the soul," holds a lot of weight for me when I'm working on a portrait. A person's eyes are so revealing, but can be very mysterious too. The eyes are often one of the first things I work on when starting a portrait because it sets the tone for the rest of the work. I probably shouldn't admit this, but on occasion I imagine the painting winked at me to let me know that I'm on the right track. (My creative mind is so active when I paint!) I've been so fortunate to have good friends and family to provide many opportunities to hone my skills at painting from life during my time as artist-in-residence at the Neville Public Museum. I'm already past the half-way mark of my work there. If you're in the area, please come and watch me paint on a Tuesday afternoon until the end of October. Or, better yet, volunteer to be one of my victims, er, models. (hee-hee) I have a line-up of people scheduled to sit for me there so please send a message letting me know what days you're available and I'll try to work it into my schedule.

No comments: