Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Pick Me!

I painted these sunflowers last week during my time as artist-in-residence at the Neville Public Museum in Green Bay, WI. It's completely palette knife painted, with paint so thick I was worried about getting it to my vehicle, let alone all the way home. The actual size of this piece is 30 x 36.  Despite what preconceptions you may have, the life of an artist is never easy. I have my highs and lows, as everyone does. I'm always thankful for the little "joys" that come my way that remind me to keep trying. I've grown dramatically in recent months, and will be forever grateful to my mentors and friends who have been so encouraging. And, of course, to God, for this gift. I'm painting more than ever, and I see development in every piece I finish. But times are tough. And not only for me, but for many artists I know and love. To all the established artists who are able to make a living doing what they love, I salute you! I'm selling more art than ever, but with my husband's unexpected unemployment and both of us now trying to make it as artists, an uncertain income is difficult to get used to. As I try to consider a closing line, I think of all the people who need prayers now. I've been so fortunate. Please take a moment of silence for all who are hurting or in need.

No comments: